yaan = cloud, foggy
y as in "yard"
word beginnings include:
ya, yaa, yah
- (n) man of father’s clan and generation; parent
- in (a straight) line with, in (a straight) line toward
Júuyee kaatl’a.ahliyeeyaagu tlagee ’is? Is the place in the direction of the rising sun?
’Waasda ’laa gyaayaa k’yuu kidgaalaan. A trail stretched from there to his house.
Yaa jahliihl tl’u.uda’waa.ang. Sit in line with it (a rope).
’La kunyaa ginn kagann xiigaangaan. Something was making a racket right in front of him.
be parent for
- be a certain-sized
Tlii sguusiid ’yaadgaa diiga ’la giidagan. He gave me quite a big bag of potatoes (not potatoes just lying in a pile).
- (v) rock back and forth, saying ’oo’oo’oo’oo
’Laa ’la yaadgaanggiinii. She used to rock the baby.
Ta yaadgaang. Rock a baby in one’s arms.
(n) seabeach sandwort (honkenya peploides)
be a member of the Raven moiety
- truly; correctly; really
Yaan gam ’la Giihlgii.anggang. Really he isn’t ready.
- (n) cloud; cloud mass; cloud cover
Yaanee skun.a Gusdlaang. The sky is very clear.
Yaanee hlGahlda Gasdlaang. The whole sky is dark (overcast) now.
- be clouds; (sky) be cloudy
Gam yaanaa.anggang. There are no clouds.
- (v) be foggy on someday; something be caught in fog; fog
- fall in love with a member of own moiety
’Laaga yaanaanggan. He was caught in fog.
Gasan.uu dangga yaanaangaa? How did you happen to fall in love with someone of your own moiety?
’La yaanaang’aawaan. They were caught in fog.
- be foggy; fogged up; someone’s vision be blurry
Xannjaangwee yaanangaagang. The window is fogged up.
Xang kalgeeGaadaan dii xang.aa yaanangaagang. My vision is blurry without glasses.
- (v) tie closed
Tuut’ee ’waa.aa ’la yaanggan. She tied the food box closed.
- (v) extend (in classifier volume) (stream or liquid in the form of a stream, or a road, trail)
- tide come, go in direction
Gandlee kwah t’amyaang t’algang. The creek is flowing down narrow.
Giijgwii.uu kwahyaanggang? Which way is the tide going?
Hawaan kwahyaants’aang. The tide is still coming in.
- (v) flow in classifier volume
’Waasda ’la gyahsdla t’amyaanggan. She poured it out in a narrow stream.
- (v) be easy (ie a song, music, speech, work, easy to read book, easy to pronounce name or remember, easy woman to have sex with, etc.)
Ginn han ’la tla.áwhliyee ’laa.an ’yaagalaang. Fixing anything is easy for him.
- perpendicular; upright
Gam nan sGwaansang yaangguhlaang k’aw.a’aangaan. Not even one was sitting upright.
Yaangguhlaang ’la k’aahluugan. He sat up upright.
- open by undoing the cord holding the lid on (storage box, basket)
’Waasd ’la yaang Gasdlaayaan. He opened (the box) by untying the rope that held the lid on.
- a rope tied around a box, basket or barrel to keep lid on
- Is that right?
Ji yaan.gwaa. Is that right? Really?
Gam yaank’ii.an tlagee tl’a gu ’laa’aangaan. Truly they didn’t like the place.
Yaank’ii.antl’aa.uu dan suu.ang Hl gudanggan. I thought you were speaking truthfully.
- be woven with three woof strands of spruce root.
Saasii ’laa yaan tii.ihlk’ungaagang. The crown of her (hat) is woven with three strands.
- the area on a line toward something; the part on a line toward something
’Lanngeeyaasii ’la kehjgadgiigaangaan. He kept starring in the direction of the village.
- moving leg; flipping tail (fish only)
’Inggu ’la yahdahldagan. He put his leg(s) up on it.
KwaayeeGii ’la yahdiijan. He got his leg caught in the rope.
- (v) suit; look well with/on
- do just right; hit just right
- trust; believe in; believe
K’yuwee ’la t’a yahdaayaan. He took the right trail.
Tlagu ’laa hlangaasii ’la gu yahdagan. He thought of how it could be good.
Dii ’la kihl yahdagan. He advised me correctly (gave me the right advice).
’Laa ’la yahdaagan. He trusts him.
Gam ’la kil tl’a yahda.anggang. They don’t believe what he says.
’Waadluu tl’a yahdasdlaayaanii. Then they believed it.
There is no way I can help you.
be trusted; be believed
- at the middle of something, in the middle of something
’Lanngee yahg.uu ’la nuwaang. He is living in the middle of the town.
Gaal yahgu ’la k’aahlaawaan. He got up at midnight.
- (v) think highly of someone/something; respect someone/something
’Laa.an tl’a yah gudánggang. People respect her. People think highly of her.
- honor someone
’Laa.an tl’a yah gudangaadaayaan. They honored him (in the usual ways).
- be the middle of something
Gaal yahgugaagang. It is midnight.
- the one(s) at the middle of something
- midnight; midsummer; midwinter
Tluwee yahgugee. The one(s) in the middle of the canoe.
Gaal yahgugee saliyaa. After midnight.
Sangga yahgugee salii.iid. After midwinter.
K’in yahgugee kunaasda. Before midsummer.
near the middle of something
- to the middle of something
Tluwee yahgugwii ’la kaat’iijan. He walked to the middle of the boat.
- be the middle of something (ie summer, winter)
K’in yahgulaagang. It is the middle of summer. It is midsummer.
Sangga yahgulaagang. It is the middle of winter. It is midwinter.
- stay in location until the middle of X
Gu ’la Gaal yahgulee.eehldagan. He stayed there until midnight.
- the middle, center of something; someone’s waist or waist measurement
Yahgusii ’laa ’la k’a k’it’aayaan. He split it (a cedar) at the middle.
K’ayee yahgusii saga tagaagang. The middle of the apple is worm-eaten.
YahgusiyangGan.gu dang ’unsad? Do you know your waist measurement?
- to the middle of something
Tluwee yahgwii ’la kaagan. He walked to the middle of the boat.
- merely; just; only
Daa.l k’iisk’u yahk’aa ’la da.aang. He just has one dollar.
Ts’at’alangee sk’asdang yahk’aahl hahlgwiiga ’isdaa. Bring just two of the arrows.
’Laa ga taa sdang yahk’aagang. He only eats twice a day.
Tl’a xang.ii skaasdang.a.a yahk’aagang. People have only two eyes each.
(n) wet, muddy ground
- (n) the truth
- real instance; true instance
- exactly; precisely; right
Yahk’iiGan.gu dang ’unsad? Do you know the truth?
Gungng yahk’ii.uu ’la ’iijang. He is the real father (to so-and-so).
Giisand yahk’ii. Exactly when.
Tlagu yahk’ii. Exactly how.
Nangga dang sdahlaasga yahk’ii.uu dii.is sdahlaang. I want precisely the one that you want too.
- be correct; be valid; be true; be real; be certain
’La kil yahk’iyaagaan. What he said (turned out to be) true.
Nang yahk’iyaagaa dii sdahlaang. I want a real one.
Dang k’waayandayee gam yahk’iyaa.anggang. Your counting is wrong.
Gudk’uhl ’la ’is’awee gam hawaan yahk’iyaa.anggang. It isn’t certain yet whether they will live together/ get married.
(n) anal fin of salmonid